Tuesday, December 30, 2008

1/16 Dragon Signaller, HG Div, Tunisia 1943 pt2

Using reference photos I've outlined the orange shapes with a 50/50 mix of Scorched Earth and Chaos Black. I've also added additional patterning in this shade as well as random dots inside the orange shapes.



The camo pattern supposedly uses five colours. I can discern at least two shades of brown so I went over the pattern this time adding more black to the brown. Also in these next photos my progress on the head can be seen.



I should have paused to take photos in-between these next steps but I was on a roll and kept working. At this point I'm adding shadow and highlights. Starting off i washed the tunic with a thin mix of Scorched Earth. This tones down and unifies the colours in the camo pattern. While this was still damp I mixed in some Chaos Black - about 50/50 and washed it in to the creases and seams. Again this goes over all the folds and creases regardless of colour. Finally more Chaos Black is added and worked into the deepest recesses.

Highlights are added to the orange shapes by adding Elf Flesh with Vomit Brown. Likewise Elf Flesh was added to the base colour and used to highlight the rest of the smock.


Next up are some close-ups of the head. The pictures aren't the greatest but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I started with a base coat of Snakebite Leather and worked up three levels of highlight by adding progressively more Elf Flesh to the Snakebite.


Shading was added by mixing Terracotta with Snakebite Leather and a touch of Chaos black for the deepest shadows such as the corners of the eyes or the creases right by the nose.


A 5 O'clock shadow is added with a thin mix of Snakebite Leather + Chaos Black carefully washed around the beard and moustache area.


Finally some colour is added to the cheeks and lips with a thin mix of Terracotta + a touch of Imperial Purple ( a little less of the pink in the cheeks).

GB

No comments: