Wednesday, December 24, 2008

1/16 Dragon Signaller, Herman Goering Div, Tunisia 1943

Here's something else I'm working on at the same time as the KV, its a 1/16 scale figure representing a Signaller from the Herman Goering Field Division in Tunisa circa 1943. The model is not bad and went together without serious issue. Not counting the Tarleton bust this is the first large scale figure I've worked on. To add to the challenge the figure is wearing a camoflage smock. I've been wanting to try doing a camoflage subject and this seemed like a good figure to try it on.

I am not a German WW2 uniform expert but part of the fun of historical figure painting is doing research and learning something new along the way. What I learned is that the most likely camo pattern for the Luftwaffe Field Division in Tunisia would be the so called Oak Leaf "B" pattern. I found some good reference pics and a good SBS online by renowned figure painted Jaume Ortiz which I am trying to follow. He uses Vellajo paints so I had to try to colour match my Citadel paints.

My first step after priming was to come up with a good base colour for the camo smock. My first attempt was too light and too beige. You can actually see it on the head in the second picture below. My second mix was too brown but I finally found a mix that looked right. For the base I used a mix of Graveyard Earth + Imperial Purple+Chaos Black+Kommando Khaki+Skull White. I'm sorry I don't have the exact proportions. Once the base coat was dry all seems and straps were outlined with a thinned mix of Graveyard Earth + Chaos Black.



The next step is to start building the camouflage pattern by laying in random orange blotches using various reference sources. The orange shapes are Vomit Brown applied by babbing the brush to build the various shapes.



GB

No comments: